October 24, 2010

Ch. 757 - Fields and Vineyards

'I went past the field of the sluggard,
past the vineyard of the man who
lacks judgment;
thorns had come up everywhere,
the ground was covered with weeds,
and the stone wall was in ruins.
I applied my heart to what I observed
and learned a lesson from what I
saw:
A little sleep, a little slumber,
a little folding of the hands to rest -
and poverty will come on you like a
bandit
and scarcity like an armed man.'
[Proverb 24:30-34]

I think the sight and lesson described in these verses can be applied to our very being and hearts, at times. If we don't keep up in our relationships with God, and don't come to Him for nourishment, we will become thorny, dry, and remain unpruned. This is not good for us. We need the living water, the bread of life... and we need the true, strong protection of our God to surround our hearts and spirits. Neglect is an awful thing. It says we care not about ourselves - but God created us as His dear children and abusing ourselves in such a way is disrespectful to our Creator. Turn to Him to be nourished and grown in ways that we cannot make happen ourselves.

No comments: