June 26, 2009

Ch. 460 - Planting Seeds, Literally

Lately on my other blog [Side Notes] I've been posting a "things-to-be-done-before-I-die" list. That's right, a bucket list. Yesterday the desire was to plant an orchard. Because I just posted about it yesterday, I suppose it should be no surprise that it was on my mind today.

It is my belief that my mom has a green thumb. She doesn't garden as much as she used to, but she enjoys it and is able to produce beautiful results from basically nothing. I have never really had an opportunity to do much gardening. We have a very large yard, but it's kind of a mess. The ground is uneven, trees are scattered all around the house, and invasive species are everywhere. Plants can be quite expensive, and the money, time, and effort that landscaping and gardening require could be more wisely spent doing something else around the house. Even so, I wish I could spend the entire summer redoing our yard with my mom. It was my plan last summer to at least do some design work to get things started for this summer, but I had absolutely no idea where or how to get started. And besides, nothing needs to be done out of necessity. It's not like we're about to sell the house and need to make the yard look nice, or that we have to plant our own food, or sell things we grow to make a profit. At this point in time, landscaping and gardening are simply for pleasure and aesthetic purposes. But still... I do wonder if I've inherited my mom's green thumb. I think my desire to do these things may be indicative of an inheritance, but I don't suppose I'll find out until I really start to get my hands dirty!

It's just that the more I think about it, the more I get excited. Especially when I think about that bucket list item - planting an orchard. I noted that I wouldn't want to plant one for myself, but for someone else. I would want another person to benefit from the time and effort I put into doing something, you know? I do enjoy seeing the fruits of my labor (no pun intended), but it's not really a big deal. Just knowing that someone else will benefit from and enjoy an orchard is good enough for me.

I'm not exactly sure where I'd go with this, but I think it's something I'll hold onto for a bit. I think it'd be really neat to turn it into a ministry. Planting seeds by, well, planting seeds. Showing the love of God and His goodness through the gift of fruit-bearing trees... why not?


'Our people must learn to devote themselves to doing what is good, in order that they may provide for daily necessities and not live unproductive lives.'
[Titus 3:14]

No comments: