June 27, 2009

Ch. 461 - Are You Lukewarm?

The following two quotes come from Francis Chan's book, Crazy Love, which I am currently reading [and thoroughly enjoying, I must say].

'The goals of American Christianity are often a nice marriage, children who don't swear, and good church attendance. Taking the words of Christ literally and seriously is rarely considered. That's for the "radicals" who are "unbalanced" and who go "overboard." Most of us want a balanced life that we can control, that is safe, and that does not involve suffering. Would you describe yourself as totally in love with Jesus Christ? Or do the words halfhearted, lukewarm, and partially committed fit better?'

'Lukewarm people feel secure because they attend church, made a profession of faith at age twelve, were baptized, come from a Christian family, vote Republican, or live in America. Just as the prophets in the Old Testament warned Israel that they were not safe just because they lived in the land of Israel, so we are not safe just because we wear the label Christian or because some people persist in calling us a "Christian nation." '

Oh boy.

Thank you, Francis Chan, for putting into words what I've been thinking for quite some time now.

Brilliant.

I'll be the first to admit that I'm not always on fire. Or even hot, for that matter. As much as I don't want to say it, I can be pretty lukewarm. I'm really working on warming up, but it's a process. It's not like leftovers that you can pop into the microwave and heat up in an instant.

It takes time.
It takes effort.

But I wouldn't have it any other way.
And even so, I have Christ in my heart.
And even so, I love God and I know that He loves me.
And even so, I am continually committing my life to Him.

Yet I'm scared.
And extremely sad.
Why?
Because there are many, many, many, many congregations in this world - full of "Christians" - who are lukewarm, and don't realize that they're missing something. They think that they're fine because they spend some time at church, put money into a collection plate, and maybe help out with Vacation Bible School each summer. And if they're really "on fire" they may even crack open their Bibles now and again. Yet contrary to what they think, they are not saved. They're simply not. Beloved children of God think they're good to go when, in fact, they are distancing themselves from what truly matters: a relationship with God.

My heart aches for these people.


'The Lord says: "These people come near to me with their mouth and honor me with their lips, but their hearts are far from me. Their worship of me is made up only of rules taught by men." '
[Isaiah 29:13]

'Woe to you who are complacent in Zion, and to you who feel secure on Mount Samaria, you notable men of the foremost nation, to whom the people of Israel come!'
[Amos 6:1]

No comments: