April 13, 2010

Ch. 685 - Picturesque

I spent some time at a park today. I was simply enjoying the beautiful weather and catching up on some reading for a class. At one point I heard a vehicle pull into the parking lot. I kept reading, but the sound of laughter soon filled the small park and I looked up to see a woman and two children. The woman was carrying a blanket and a small cooler. She and one of the children, a girl about four of five years old, spread out the blanket in the shade of a large tree. The other child, a boy about two years old, walked away from them and explored the playground area. He started to run towards a small, open field, looking over his shoulder now and then to the woman, whom I was watching. I noticed that even though she was talking with the girl and starting to take food and drinks out of the cooler, she periodically glanced over to the field where the boy was now running in constant circles. But suddenly he stopped, and without having to be chased down or called over, he dawdled over to the blanket where the woman and girl were sitting. The woman opened her arms and he ran the rest of the way, nestling - forcefully, I might add, as a result of the momentum - into her arms. And as they began to eat their picnic lunch, I resumed my reading with a smile on my face.

I was really thankful to have witnessed this casual occurrence.
I mean, it was simply a picnic in the park.

But I felt like God was reminding that even though I go "off on my own" now and then, or even run away from where I seemingly should be, I cannot truly run away from God. He is ever-watchful. There is no hiding from Him. And because He certainly does have a hand on my life, I will always return to Him eventually.

Because He provides for me.
Because He protects me.
Because He encourages me.
Because He guides me.
Because He loves me.

He welcomes me with open arms.


'But the eyes of the Lord are on those who fear him, on those whose hope is in his unfailing love...'
[Psalm 33:18]

No comments: