May 7, 2009

Ch. 419 - Come and Gone

Oh goodness. I have completed my first year at Central Christian College of the Bible in Moberly, Missouri. I don't even know where to begin...

Well. Over the past eight and a half months, I have come to love Central. I truly have. I love the size. I love the classes. I love the support. I love the administration and faculty. I love the students. I love Moberly. I honestly love everything about being at Central. I am so glad that God led me there. I'm still working a few things out, such as what I truly want to do in the future, where I really fit in at Central (even though there aren't many places to fit in), and how I can serve the school and community all the more during the rest of my time there.

I feel like God has really worked on my heart over the year. I also feel that I have grown a considerable amount and although I may not always seem like it, I have matured even more than I did during my first year of college. God is still teaching me patience, and I'm glad. Also, I've started to learn to truly capture my thoughts and turn them towards good things and Christ. For example, take my roommate situation... now, I'm not going to go into detail, but I don't know how many times I found myself wanting to say something rude and biting to my roommates over the months because of the way they acted, things they constantly talked about, etc. I loved them as sisters in Christ - I just didn't like them very well... make sense? I mean, we had a few good times and laughs together, sure, but I would never have chosen to room with them (or even be friends with them) had I known them beforehand. I'm surprised I didn't bite my tongue in half over time, though. But I figure biting my tongue and capturing my thoughts are things I will need to do in the future. I'm pretty sure I can survive anything after what I put up with year. I've probably jinxed myself in saying that, but I've got three and a half months to not worry about a single thing, so I'll take my chances.

I've also learned that I have, for the most part, had a perfect life. No such thing, you say? I suppose it depends on your definition of perfect. One also might say that all Christians have it "good" and that they don't know pain or suffering or abuse or injustice. These assumptions are completely false. I have learned not only from teachers this year, but fellow students and believers. I think learning takes place outside the classroom just as much as inside. And you know, I could have learned everything I was tested on and had to do assignments over from books. However, there is great value in taking classes and learning material from teachers. You get insight, in-depth knowledge, wisdom, and personal stories that help you understand the curriculum all the better - and trust me when I say I'm all for that! I simply believe that you can learn more about life in living and meeting people and getting to know them. You wouldn't believe what seemingly half of our student body has gone through in the course of their lives. Drugs, alcohol, rape, molestation, persecution, death, depression - the list goes on. You name it, someone has endured and overcome it. Everyone has a story. You can learn from each of them. The best part is that there's a happy ending in that they have come to know their Lord God and Savior. I like to consider it the ending to their life's prequel. And so they're in the midst of living out their true, never-ending life story! That's a beautiful realization.

There is definitely way more that I learned this year, but at this point in time I don't have time to think about everything and write it all out. Maybe I'll do more in the upcoming days, we'll see. I'm just glad that I've been able to go Central and get started in my training to be a better servant for God's Kingdom. He's the ultimate Teacher, though, and I'm excited to see what He teaches me over the years.


'For the grace of God that brings salvation has appeared to all men. It teaches us to say "No" to ungodliness and worldly passions, and to live self-controlled, upright and godly lives in this present age, while we wait for the blessed hope - the glorious appearing of our great God and Savior, Jesus Christ...'
[Titus 2:11-13]

No comments: