January 31, 2010

Ch. 637 - Word.

I listen to music a lot.
Now, when I say a lot, I mean a lot.
And I listen to all kinds of music.

Well. I don't really like bluegrass-y music. Or polka.
Oh, I'm also not a huge fan of country - with the exception of Johnny Cash [thanks, Mom!] and Josh Turner.

But anyway... I'll listen to just about anything and everything.

However, I will admit that I do listen to a lot of worship music, especially as of late. I don't like all the styles of worship that are out there, but there's definitely some really great stuff. I'm always really critical of the people who say they only listen to Christian music. I think that's kind of ridiculous and I tend to group them in the goody-goody, Christian-by-works group.

Yes.
I know.
I am a jerk.

I'm trying to break myself of that particular judgment, but it's a slow process. Probably because I haven't particularly asked God to help me out. I just don't feel like it... Maaaaaan. Now that I've said that - written it down, even - it'll probably happen without my technical consent. But He's God, He does what He wants.

Anyway, going back to worship music... I've been listening to a lot of it lately, as I previously stated. And for the past week or so, it seems like every other song I listen to includes the word 'hosanna' in it. Alright, cool. But I found myself thinking, 'So what does that even mean? I mean, we hear it all the time. We read it in the Bible. Something about save? Yeah.' I wanted to learn more, so I busted out - ok, typed in - Blue Letter Bible [the best!]. I checked out Strong's lexicon for hosanna, and I was excited to learn more. So here's what I found out: hosanna is of Hebrew origin; it comes from a combination of יָשַׁע [yasha'] and נָא [na']. Yasha' means "to save" or "be saved" and na' means "I/we pray", "now", or "please". So, in essence, hosanna means "please save!" or "save now!"

I really like that. At first I thought it was odd, because I played the part of an ignorant Christian girl and thought, 'Well. God has already saved us. So to be saying 'hosanna' now is kind of pointless.' No. It's not. Because while God has already chosen those whom He has written in the Book of Life, not all of them have come to know Christ as their Lord and Savior. They have not technically been saved, at least not to their knowledge or in the act of believing and confessing. So it's truly not pointless to cry up to God for salvation, because we should be interceding for the lost and desiring for them to be found.

God has saved.
God is saving.
God will save.

The word is used to praise God, and He is so worthy of that praise.

Another word I found myself wondering more about is 'hallelujah'. We also see this word in the Bible, and hear it thrown around an awful lot - by believers and nonbelievers alike. I've heard it said that the word hallelujah represents the highest praise one can give to God. I found the quick research I did on this word to be quite interesting. Also of Hebrew origin, it is a combination of הָלַל [halal] and יָהּ [Yahh]. Halal can mean a number of things, depending on the verb form. All my Hebrew from last spring came rushing back to me as I looked these things up, and let me tell you... I do not miss it. I miss taking a language, but not Hebrew. Arabic was so much cooler... ANYWAY. Halal can mean "to shine", "to praise", "to boast", "to make a fool of", or "to act madly". Yahh is the abbreviated form of Jehovah. Yahweh. God. So really, hallelujah can mean a few things. It can be a joyous praise to/of God, it can be a boast in God, and it could even mean to act madly or foolishly for/in God.

I think so many people simply think of hallelujah to mean 'praise God!' or something like that. But personally? I really like the last interpretation I mentioned. Obviously nobody wants to look like a fool in front of others.

"Lookin' like a fool with yo' pants on the ground!"
[I couldn't help myself. Please forgive me. I'm not even an American Idol fan or anything... that was the first episode I've watched in literally years. If you don't know what I'm talking about, click here. You will not be disappointed. Or if you are, I apologize.]

Okay. So. Recap: we don't like to be called foolish. The Bible says we shouldn't call others fools, anyway. But the definition of fool, according to the Merriam-Webster dictionary can be "ridiculous" or even "simple". So really, to be a fool for God is not such a terrible thing. In a way, we should be fools for God, or act madly in regards to Him. Not so much in a "foolish" or radical sense... but more so in a manner of utter devotion, saying, "Use me, God!" We shouldn't be afraid of what others think of us in regards to our faith or how we live our lives worshiping our Lord God.

"Hosanna! God saves! Hosanna!"
"Hallelujah! Praise be to God!"
He is our Savior.
He is our Rock.
Act like a madman! Proclaim His name! Rant of His love!
And out of your love for Him, give praise.


'Save us, O Lord our God,
and gather us from the nations,
that we may give thanks to your holy
name
and glory in your praise.

Praise be to the Lord, the God of Israel,
from everlasting to everlasting.
Let all the people say, "Amen!"

Praise the Lord.'
[Psalm 106:47-48]

No comments: