September 7, 2009

Ch. 507 - A Fragrant Offering

Ephesians 5:2 says, '... and live a life of love, just as Christ loved us and gave himself up for us as a fragrant offering and sacrifice to God.'

Ephesians 5:1-2 were the daily Bible verses of a site I visit regularly. Now, I believe they're pretty well-known verses. "Be imitators of God." We like to remind ourselves that we should be striving to be Christlike. But actually following through in doing so is an entirely different story... and that story is for another day. So anyway, these were the verses. And just last night I was out on a walk, just clearing my head a bit and talking to God. One thing led to another and soon I began praying about how I am living my life and how I am worshiping my Lord God; I believe worshiping Him is a lifestyle, not a forty-five minute segment on Sundays (and Tuesdays and Fridays, counting chapel here at Central). I started to wonder whether my offering to God, living my life for Him daily and loving Him to the best of my ability, is a fragrant offering... or if it really isn't very pleasing to God. Does He look down at me and smile? Does He hear something I say and frown? Does He cry when I do something wrong? Does He dance when I do something right?

How many times have I turned away from God?
How many times have I said one thing, and then done another?
How many times have I made mistakes and not learned from them?
How many times have I torn down the body of Christ?
How many times have I denied myself partaking in what God has to offer?

How many times have I run back to God?
How many times have I been guided by the Spirit?
How many times have I asked for forgiveness?
How many times have I been encouraged by my brothers and sisters?
How many times have I realized how incredibly loved I am?

I do learn.
I do grow.
I do love people.
I do love my God.

But...

'With the tongue we praise our Lord and Father, and with it we curse men, who have been made in God's likeness. Out of the same mouth come praise and cursing. My brothers, this should not be.'
[James 3:9-10]

This should not be.

I want things to be completely black and white.
No gray matter, you know?
Yet that's not how it is.

But I don't want my life to be a fragrant offering to God one day...
and a horrid stench the next.

Refine me with fire, Lord God.


'Through Jesus, therefore, let us continually offer to God a sacrifice of praise - the fruit of lips that confess his name. And do not forget to do good and to share with others, for with such sacrifices God is pleased.'
[Hebrews 13:15-16]

No comments: