September 22, 2009

Ch. 522 - Stepping Up and Back

Athlete Blake Haxton once said, "You do what you can, and let God do what you can't."

I realize I may be taking this quote out of context.
That's what Bible college does to you...
... but for now, context-schmontext.
If people are allowed to take Jeremiah 29:11-13 out of context without consequence, I figure I should be allowed to do the same with this quote. So. Even with that realization, I'm going to grab the quote and run with it.

There's only so much we can do... it's true. I've touched on that before, I believe. We aren't superheroes, no matter how hard we try to be.
[Off the record: If I were a superhero, I would want the ability to fly. I realize I probably wouldn't be able to do a whole lot with this, but come on. How cool would that be?!]

Moving forward...
We're not omnipotent.
Ruling.
We're not omniscient.
All-knowing.
We're not omnipresent.
Surrounding.

We're not perfect.

I am of mankind.

Ever since the fall of man, God has charged us with challenges and obstacles. No matter how close I draw to God and want to believe that my life will be smooth sailing, I will most likely always be facing some type of obstacle. But I can do my best to overcome it. God has planned out my life bit by bit. He is the One who places challenges in my life. We are presented with obstacles for a reason.

'But he knows the way that I take; when he has tested me, I will come forth as gold.' [Job 23:10]

Author Millie Stamm said, "Courage is firmly facing difficulties and obstacles, knowing God has promised to be with you."

We should consider obstacles as opportunities to give God glory that He wholly deserves. They are as much for His benefit as they are for ours [in the long term of things], if not more.

We can't rely on ourselves to overcome difficult challenges. We must turn to God in all things. Consult Him. Ask for advice. Guidance. Strength. Patience. Whatever you need, request it of God. Step up to His table of abundance with an expectant mindset, and then step back to allow Him room to move before you as He gathers what you've asked for. Let Him work in and through you, accomplishing what you cannot.

Prepare the way.
He'll do what must be done.
Give glory to Him.


'Praise the Lord.

I will extol the Lord with all my
heart
in the council of the upright and in
the assembly.

Great are the works of the Lord;
they are pondered by all who delight
in them.
Glorious and majestic are his deeds,
and his righteousness endures
forever.
He has caused his wonders to be
remembered;
the Lord is gracious and
compassionate.
He provides food for those who fear
him;
he remembers his covenant
forever.
He has shown his people the power of
his works,
giving them the lands of other
nations.
The works of his hands are faithful and just;
all his precepts are trustworthy.
They are steadfast for ever and ever,
done in faithfulness and
uprightness.
He provided redemption for his people;
he ordained his covenant
forever -
holy and awesome is his name.
[Psalm 111:1-9]

No comments: