April 10, 2009

Ch. 392 - Our King

'They stripped him and put a scarlet robe on Him, and then twisted together a crown of thorns and set it on his head. They put a staff in his right hand and knelt in front of him and mocked him. "Hail, king of the Jews!" they said. They spit on him, and took the staff and struck him on the head again and again. After they had mocked him, they took off the robe and put his own clothes on him. Then they led him away to crucify him.'
[Matthew 27:28-31]

This is a well-known part of the Passion of Christ. I mean, it seems as if men and women, old and young, of many faiths - not just Christianity - have heard, recognize, or believe that Jesus Christ suffered and was mocked... and that He was clothed with a scarlet robe, a crown of thorns on His head. He was called "King of the Jews" by the Roman soldiers.

This is not a new story to me. Not only do I hear it a few times during the Easter season, I also read it in my regular Bible readings. Usually when I have read a passage of the Bible many times, I find that something different stands out to me each time. The above verses were definitely what has stood out to me the most during this Holy Week. I really think that God is working on me in regards to justice. As it seems to be coming up more and more, I think and pray about justice more than I ever have before.

What happened to Jesus was not fair.
He was wrongly hated.
He was wrongly accused.
He was wrongly tortured.
He was wrongly mocked.
[Note: Galatians 6:7 says, 'God cannot be mocked. A man reaps what he sows.' Those soldiers have it coming.]
But He was rightly crucified.

Think about that.

The only reason I believe I can say this is because He knew what He was sent by His Father to do. He knew it would happen. He knew it had to happen. That technically doesn't make it any more "right" in our eyes, because He is our Lord God. He is our Lamb. He is our King.

But as Jesus Himself said, "Greater love has no one than this, that he lay down his life for his friends." [John 10:13]

No comments: