April 17, 2009

Ch. 399 - An Honest Love

'Dear friends, since God so loved us, we also ought to love one another. No one has ever seen God; but if we love one another, God lives in us and his love is made complete in us.'
[1 John 4:11-12]


All this year, I've thought, "I am not growing. I am not supposed to be here. I should have stayed in Utah. I am not becoming closer to God. People here do not care. They're not focused."

I have been lying to myself.

I am growing.
I am supposed to be here.
I am becoming closer to God.

I have been judgmental.

People here do care.
They are focused.

Granted, this cannot be said true for everybody. But I have come across more people that it can be said true for than I thought I would over the months. And while it's taken me awhile to find those people, I have done so and am incredibly thankful for God placing those people in my life. I know there are numerous others here at Central Christian College of the Bible who love God and are actively seeking Him every day of their lives, just as I attempt to. I say 'attempt' because there are days when I am an absolute failure. That is okay. I am able to say it is okay because I know that while I may not always pursue God, I know He is pursuing me at all times.

For this, I praise God for His infinite, unconditional love!

Another reason I praise God for His love is because I have been given the gift of love from Him, so that I may love others. And although I am trying to use this gift to its fullest extent, I oftentimes fail at doing this. Fortunately, it's a love that is never-ending. I can love, and love, and love, and love some more. Now, here's the thing. I love people. It's simple. I love people. But actively sharing this love with people is difficult. I don't always know what love looks like to people. I don't know how they best feel loved. Or how easily they accept love. I am glad that loving God is easy. I know that no matter what, He will accept my love. But I am not commanded to love only God. And challenges that are presented to me when I try to share my love with others only makes my love stronger. Yet I don't want to force it on anyone. As much as I'd like to do so at times, it's ultimately up to them to accept that love that I extend. They can take as long as they'd like. I'm not going to reach out to them and then withdraw or suddenly turn my back. It will always be there for the taking.

' "This is my command: Love each other." '
[John 15:17]


Not only do I have this deep love for people, but I also have a profound interest in the people around me. Some might say that being interested in people and loving them are one and the same, but I disagree. You can love everyone, but not be truly interested in them... just as you can be truly interested in everyone, but not love them. But over time I have realized what a fascination I have with people. I can only imagine how strange or even creepy that may sound, but I know that everybody has a story. And I think it's safe to say that everyone enjoys a good story. I like to learn about people. I like to learn where they are in life, what they are about, what their relationship with God looks like, and what I can do for them in both the present and future.

I was thinking today and realized what I have just stated is exactly what I want throughout the rest of my life.
I want to talk with people and learn about them.
I want to hear their stories.
I want to simply listen.

I want to love people.

Above all, I want to let people know of God's love.
I want to let them know of God's Sacrifice.
I want to let them know of God's Son.
I want to let them know of God's Grace.
Peace.
Mercy.
Justice.
Salvation.


'Now that you have purified yourselves by obeying the truth, so that you have sincere love for your brothers, love one another deeply, from the heart.'
[1 Peter 1:22]


......

Ch. 399, Part Two:

I have more love than I know what to do with.
Most times I don't know where to begin or who to go to.
Which is why most people don't know about this extreme love that I do have.
So help me.
Please.
Accept some of my love.
Tell me what you want.
Tell me what you need.
I don't want anything in return.
All that I could ever hope for is the acknowledgment that you know and feel my love in truth and through my actions.

No comments: