April 25, 2009

Ch. 407 - In His Name

I was reading in Acts today and came across this verse: ' "Salvation is found in no one else, for there is no other name under heaven given to men by which we must be saved." '
[Acts 4:12]

This is a frequently quoted verse. Understandable. It's a pretty good one. I mean, there's such truth to it. It's even a truth that doesn't "hurt" and people desire truth. Anyway, what I wanted to mention is how often the verses leading up to Acts 4:12 are overlooked.

In chapter three, Peter heals a crippled beggar [in the name of Jesus Christ]. He and John then go on to teach 'the people' and proclaim in Jesus the resurrection of the dead [Acts 4:2]. They are then arrested and brought before elders, priests, etc. They ask Peter and John, ' "By what power or what name did you do this?" ' [Acts 4:7]

Acts 4:8-11 says this: 'Then Peter, filled with the Holy Spirit, said to them: "Ruler and elders of the people! If we are being called to account today for an act of kindness shown to a cripple and are asked how he was healed, then know this, you and all the people of Israel: It is by the name of Jesus Christ of Nazareth, whom you crucified but whom God raised from the dead, that this man stands before you healed. He is 'the stone you builders rejected, which has become the capstone.' " '

I think what stands out to me the most is when Peter says they crucified Christ but God raised Him from the dead. I remember in Acts class it was drilled into our minds that we killed Christ, through our sins. This made quite the impact on me, so when I read these verses today it made it more meaningful. It's cool to see how classes are impacting my life, including my beliefs. I like this. I also love how Peter points out that it was in the name of Jesus Christ that the crippled beggar was healed. There is such power in His name and I think we are quick to forget that.

No comments: