April 27, 2009

Ch. 409 - "Philadelphia!"

"I want to be a Jonathan to him."

A friend said something like this to me this evening, regarding a mutual friend of ours.

I liked it.

David and Jonathan.

Bromance?
Indeed.

Not only did Jonathan become "one in spirit with David" and love David as himself [1 Samuel 18:1]... but David later said, "I grieve for you, Jonathan my brother; you were very dear to me. Your love for me was wonderful, more wonderful than that of women," as he lamented over the deaths of Saul and Jonathan [2 Samuel 1:26].

The love these men had for one another is nothing to scoff at.

To love another as yourself is more difficult than it may sound.
And to risk your life in order to ensure the safety of another isn't something most people would be willing to do.


'Be devoted to one another in brotherly love. Honor one another above
yourselves.'
[Romans 12:10]

No comments: