April 20, 2009

Ch. 402 - Only Him

About a week ago, I was reading in Psalms and came across this verse:

'Whom have I in heaven but you? And earth has nothing I desire besides you.'
[Psalm 73:25]

This question and statement completely floored me. We know that in heaven we will be rejoicing and praising our Lord God, giving Him all honor and glory. Everything will be centered around Him, constantly. And I'm glad. Yet it should be that way here on earth, as well. We should be seeking God out continually, giving Him all honor and glory. 'And earth has nothing nothing I desire besides you.' If we were truly focused on God and wanting to seek nothing but Him, I think we would realize all the more that this earth truly does not hold anything greater. There is nothing comparable to God, granted, but I honestly think that we do desire things other than God more than we should. This is because we already 'have' God. We say that we know Him, love Him, and serve Him. So that must obviously mean that we do not need to seek Him; we do not need to desire Him. Thus we may then desire other things: a loving spouse, a good job, a nice home, happiness, etc. Now, I'm not saying that it is bad to desire these things. On the contrary, they are good compared to desiring things such as power and wealth. No matter - we should always desire God above all else... because it is God who is able to grant our desires. Our Lord God is everything. Without Him, we are nothing. Desire Him.

No comments: