January 26, 2008

Ch. 10 - Forever Changed

As I was praying this afternoon, I took time to thank God for my family here in Utah. When I say family, I mean my friends, because they truly are my family here. For example, when I can't reach my mom to ask her a question that came up as I was reading my Bible, I'll call Matt. When I can't reach my dad to simply have a nice, serious conversation, I'll take a trip down the hall to see Shawn. When something is bothering me and I can't reach my sister, I'll talk to Darcy. I really don't talk to my sister often enough, though... Anyway, I'm reminded of my brother when I'm around Kastin - nobody can make me laugh like they can, they are such goofballs.

When I came to Utah, I didn't exactly care about leaving my friends. Honestly, the only people I was sad about saying good-bye to were Tyler, Abbie, Tim, and Amy. I was just so ready to leave everyone behind and start a new chapter in my life. I get to Utah and find myself transitioning to 'college life' pretty well - but I don't make many friends. I was so blessed to have Darcy and Ariel as my suitemates. They were basically my only friends. Anyway, fall break comes and goes, and that is when God reeled me back in. The very first week after break, Darcy and I went to Cru. After that, it was as if we had always been friends with 'the group' - they accepted us completely and I suddenly had the best friends anybody could ever ask for.

I've learned so much from all of them. Each and every person has something amazing to offer and it's one of those things... as cheesy as it may sound... I can't imagine my life without any of them. That's why I'm having such a hard time with Ross being upset with me. I messed up and am reaping the consequences, I know. It just breaks my heart when I extend my love as a sister in Christ and he won't accept it.

Never before have I had such a God-loving group of friends. As Shawn likes to say, they are all Hot-God-Men and Women. I would do anything for them... anytime, anywhere. I don't think I've ever felt like that before, other than with my 'real' family.

This is what makes the decision of transferring difficult. Friends. My family. I have no doubt that I'll be able to keep in touch with them over the years. They've all had such an influence on my life the past few months. It is partly because of them that I have grown so close to God lately and as I have, God has taught me so much and wrapped His arms around me so tightly.

But you know, I was thinking the other day... I would love to spend summers here. I definitely would like to come back to Salt Lake to work and live, raise a family - if it's God's will, that is. Granted, all my friends may not still be here, but that's ok. I really think I belong here. It's simply unfortunate that there aren't any programs for ministry and such at any schools in the area. Shawn and I decided there's such a ministry in working with kids, especially because of the dominant LDS presence. I was looking at the website of a Methodist church here in Salt Lake just yesterday, and they have no youth program whatsoever. I would love nothing more than to start one for them and help kids advance in their walks with Christ and develop deep, meaningful relationships with God. It makes my heart pound just thinking about it.

God brought me here and put these people in my life for a reason. I have no trouble believing that He'll bring me back. After all, there's an unsolved mystery here that I want to get to the bottom of. I've come to accept that maybe it's not God's plan for me to solve it before I leave, as much as I would like to. It could be years before it's solved. That's alright. It keeps things exciting.

God is so good.


'Listen, I tell you a mystery: We will not all sleep, but we will all be changed -'
[1 Corinthians 15:51]

No comments: