January 18, 2008

Ch. 2 - Seul Choix; 24. 12. 07

Seul choix. Only choice.

This was the phrase peppered throughout Pastor Harlan's Christmas Eve sermon. Jesus is our only choice - that's the bottom line, whether we like it or not. God gave us His only Son as our only choice.

What a sublime thought.

For the longest time I liked to pretend that I had options. You know, 'explore' a bit. Sure, I had been semi-raised in the [Methodist] church, but as I grew older I did some... research... on other religions. Judaism, Islam, Buddhism, the Ba'hai faith... the list went on and on. I don't think my parents ever knew. I did so when my family was on a church hiatus; when I was eight my mom's mother died and we stopped going to church until the middle of eighth grade, after we had moved to Iowa. The time when I looked into religions other than Christianity was in the later years of that hiatus. Some religions sounded pretty neat. I never expressed any interest(s) to my parents, though. My 'switching religions' - even though I had never remotely come close to doing so - didn't seem feasible. I'm glad that wasn't God's plan for me. He chose me long before I chose Him and accepted His son as my Savior.

We are so lucky to have salvation through that seul choix. We are undeserving. Thankfully, we have God's love as the baseline for... everything. His love is the foundation of all that was, is, and is to come. Then again, that's what it's all about, right?


'For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life.'
[John 3:16]

Beautiful.

No comments: