January 28, 2008

Ch. 12 - The Surrender

'Please take from me my life
when I don't have the strength
to give it away to you, Jesus'
[Take My Life]

Well first of all, let's go back to the first two lines of the song:

'How many times have I turned away?
The number is the same as the sand on the shore'

I think those lines have me summed up pretty dang well. I don't know how many times I've fallen away from God - and even if I did, I think I'd try quite hard to forget the number. The sad part is, I know it will continue to happen in the future!

'But why would God let that happen continuously? And why don't you try and prevent it from happening, if you say that you know it will?'

You know, those are mighty fine questions. The thing is, I think God lets it happen intentionally. In the end, He will bring us back to Him. It's all for His glory. We learn from our mistakes each time and realize that not only were we wrong in our ways, but that we need Him in our lives.

That's what I've finally realized. I am nothing without Him. He is everything, and in Him all things are possible.

I'm handing the reins over to God.

Returning to the three-line chorus... I have decided to fully let Him take my life. After The Mount last night I finally surrendered to Jesus. It was beautiful. A calm peace like I've never felt before swept over me. I decided I want to be like Paul. He had discovered that strength was found in weaknesses. Instead of trying to carry his cross up a hill, he decided it was best to turn it over to God. When Paul's strength was insufficient, he turned to God. In doing so, Paul walked humbly through life's ups and downs with a perspective that kept his eyes focused on Jesus. He had surrendered to the Lord.


'That is why, for Christ's sake, I delight in weaknesses, in insults, in hardships, in persecutions, in difficulties. For when I am weak, then I am strong.'
[2 Corinthians 12:10]

No comments: