March 26, 2009

Ch. 377 - In the End

The following is an excerpt of a story in a book I am reading titled Kitchen Table Wisdom by Rachel Naomi Remen, M.D. Dr. Remen explains that she was invited to give a talk about her work with cancer patients to a group of women physicians. The women discuss how they find it difficult to care for dying patients. Dr. Remen then remarks that it became clearer that they were more uncomfortable caring for the patients as doctors than as women.

'As women, we knew there was something simple and natural in just being there, together. Slowly some insights emerged. Women have always been present at these times, at death and birth and in many of the other transitions in life. Women have gathered at the transitions, as comforters and companions, as witnesses, to mark the importance of the moment.

One of the physicians talked about caring for her dying mother when she was nineteen years old. She had expected a great deal less of herself then. At first she had driven her mother to her doctor's appointments, shopped for food, and run errands. As her mother grew weaker, she had prepared tempting meals and cleaned the house. When her mother stopped eating, she had listened to her and read to her for hours. When her mother slipped into a coma, she had changed her sheets, bathed her, and rubbed her back with lotion. There always seemed something more to do. A way to care. These ways became simpler and simpler. "In the end," she told us, "I just held her and sang." '

......

Beautiful.

......

First of all, I'd like to mention that I, myself, am nineteen years old. This was a very difficult passage to read. But it was good for me. I think it illustrates the idea of God being a comforter and companion and witness really well. He is with us throughout our lives, whether we acknowledge it or not. He is there through the pain, the sorrow, the joy, the ease. He knows us and loves us, much like a mother knows and loves her daughter - or a daughter knows and loves her mother. Our God is with us until the very end of our lives. During those last months, weeks, and days, we may not ask much of Him - especially if death is unexpected and sudden - but He is willing to do more than we could ever ask for (after all, He sent us His Son to die for us on a cross, right?). But you know, it's actually quite easy to imagine myself as the mother in the passage... and God as the daughter. I mean, God takes care of me. He really would do anything for me. He would set things in order. Make me comfortable. Simply help. And when it was time to go, He'd take me in His arms, much like one would a child, and sing to me. God. After all my years of singing to Him... He would sing to me. God. The true Comforter. God. The true Companion. God. The true Witness.


'May my cry come before you,
O Lord;
give me understanding according to
your word.
May my supplication come before
you;
deliver me according to your
promise.
May my lips overflow with praise,
for you teach me your decrees.
May my tongue sing of your word,
for all your commands are
righteous.
May your hand be ready to help me,
for I have chosen your precepts.
I long for your salvation, O Lord,
and your law is my delight.
Let me live that I may praise you,
and may your laws sustain me.
I have strayed like a lost sheep.
Seek your servant,
for I have not forgotten your
commands.'
[Psalm 119:169-176]

No comments: