January 21, 2009

Ch. 313 - Say What You Mean

We are a 'cell phone society'.
We text.
We call to talk.
We say anything and everything that's on our minds.
We are quick and to the point.
We don't filter our thoughts as we say them.
We are loud, bold, and obnoxious.

The age-old rule of 'Think before you speak' seems, at times, long gone. Do we care? No. But what happens when we do not think before we speak in terms of God? And when we speak to others whom we truly care about? I think we use the fact that our God forgives and loves as an excuse to say things we shouldn't. And I think we use the excuse that because those whom we care know we love them no matter what, they won't truly mind if we say something we should not.

Our God has set standards for us. As Christians, we need to strive to not only meet the bar, but raise it. We cannot take love for granted. We can use it for good, but we can also use it for bad - in terms of deception and such. We need to say what we mean... and mean what we say. As cliché as that may sound, it is sound advice. Don't say one thing and mean another. Don't say something hurtful and immediately say, "I'm just kidding!" or "Oh gosh, I'm sorry! That was mean, wasn't it?" Usually, there is at least a bit of truth in your mind to what you say. I won't hide it - I am a prime example of one who says things that should not be said, and then uses one of the mentioned exclamations to excuse myself.

This is unacceptable.

I say that I am striving to be more Christlike, but this is certainly one obstacle that I must overcome in order to truly move forwards. I need to consciously make an effort to control my tongue and encourage others. I don't think I bring people down, necessarily, but I certainly could speak to them in a more positive light. To tell you the truth, I have been working on this for the past couple of years... but I am not very diligent in practicing this discipline. I know what kind of woman God wants me to be. And I know that if I try hard enough, I can be her. I already am... I'm simply unrefined. Rough around the edges, if you will. But God will refine me, smooth me, mold me. Beautiful.


'I will not die but live, and will proclaim what the Lord has done. The Lord has chastened me severely, but he has not given me over to death. Open for me the gates of righteousness; I will enter and give thanks to the Lord. This is the gate of the Lord through which the righteous may enter. I will give you thanks, for you answered me; you have become my salvation.'
[Psalm 118:17-21]

No comments: