June 22, 2008

Ch. 109 - I like people...

I'll admit it. When I get frustrated with someone, usually a stranger, I'll mutter "I hate people..." Is it true? Of course not. But when there's a mom with seven kids running circles around her in the middle of the sidewalk, blocking any possible way to walk around them, sometimes I can't help but be seized with a flash of anger. I may have gained some patience lately, but there's still a lot to learn and attain.

Anyway, the truth is, I like people. I love people. I like to give everyone benefit of the doubt and believe that they all have some good in them - or at least good intentions. So when I hear about people who are truly good people, it makes me love people in general even more. It gives me hope for mankind, as ominous as that may sound.

Today in service our youth pastor told the congregation how the folks from VIM (Volunteers in Mission, I believe) up in Minnesota, where the senior-hi was supposed to go on their mission trip, have decided to come down and help Phil (our youth pastor) out by organizing the off-site details for the senior-hi "trip". Phil has decided to stay here in Cedar Rapids for the mission trip so that they can help out with the flood relief and clean-up. However, he wants a traditional, off-site mission trip experience for the kids, so they'll be spending the nights and worship experiences out at Camp Hitaga. This is a huge relief for Phil and the other youth leaders, because they've been so busy lately with trying to figure out mission teams and what they're going to be doing throughout the summer for the people of Cedar Rapids. The team in Minnesota didn't have to come down and help out. They could have simply stayed up there and felt sorry for us and said, "Oh well. Nothing we can do. We have to deal with you not being here to help us with our camp." They're even donating the money the kids paid to go on the trip back to Cedar Rapids and the flood relief. So helpful.

So yes. I like people. A lot. I love people. A lot. It just goes to show that because God loves us, we can love as well. Maybe not as perfectly as He can, but it's worth trying to. 'Love thy neighbor' has never meant so much to me. This is going to be huge.


' "... but love your neighbor as yourself. I am the Lord." '
[Leviticus 19:18]

No comments: