June 30, 2008

Ch. 117 - The Ol' Switcharoo

So I was reading my Bible today and decided to read some New Testament scripture. I flipped it over to a random page and came to Luke, chapter ten. I started to read and came to The Parable of the Good Samaritan. I almost decided to skip over it and continue on to chapter eleven, but decided not to do so. I got through the first few verses and had to stop to think about them, because I read something I had not taken note of before.

An expert in the law decided to 'test' Jesus and asked Him what he must do to inherit eternal life. Jesus asked in response what is written in the Law; the expert answered that we are to " 'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your strength and with all your mind'; and, 'Love your neighbor as yourself.' " Jesus replied, "You have answered correctly."

You have answered correctly. But wait, wasn't the expert the one who had decided to test Jesus in the first place? But Jesus makes it sound as if He were the one who was testing the expert in the law.

An interesting thought, no?

I asked my mom about this and she reminded me that it seems as if whenever experts in the law and the Pharisees stood up to Jesus and questioned or tested Him to undermine His authority, Jesus turned the tables on them and simply made them look and sound foolish.


'Look to the Lord and his strength; seek his face always. Remember the wonders he has done, his miracles, and the judgments he pronounced.'
[1 Chronicles 16:11-12]

(This was a verse I read in my Old Testament reading for the day and it really hit me. I like it a lot.)

No comments: