July 17, 2008

Ch. 134 - The Thanksgiving

I worked outside in the yard for a long time today. It was a very pleasant day. A bit on the humid side - but I love warm, humid weather, so I was quite content. The sun was shining in a perfect, cerulean sky, a slight breeze blew across my face every so often... and for most of the day I had a cardinal singing to me while I worked. Truly, a beautiful day.

Now, once you've got a set task in mind and decide to start and you're up to your elbows in dirt, yard work doesn't require a lot of thinking. Just doing. So I had a lot of space for thought - and a lot of time to think. Thus, I did just that. I thought about all kinds of things. Of 'shoes and ships and sealing wax, of cabbages and kings'. Alright, so maybe I didn't think of said things. But I certainly could have! No, instead I thought about things along the lines of family and friends, future times and God. Surprise, surprise, eh? I must say, though, that sometimes I don't know what will come up next as I let my mind wander on random thoughts. So yes, at times my own thoughts surprise me. Or more like the way I get to thinking about something surprises me. For example, at the end of it all I'll think, 'How did I get from thinking about strawberries to my pillow, and then from my pillow to God? Honestly, Natalie.' [True thought, by the way.]

Anyway. Before I knew it, I was thinking about God. Same ol', same ol', really. How cool He is. How big and small He is. How loving He is. And before I knew it, I found myself thanking God for basically everything I could think of. And I mean everything. It was really a nice time to do so. I was living in a perfect day. In the presence of a perfect God. How could I not be thankful for, in fact, everything?

I've said before that I need to give thanks to God more often. If I am to truly worship Him every minute of every day by living my life for Him, it should take up more of my time than it presently does. I feel a mid-year resolution coming on...


'Sing and make music in your heart to the Lord, always giving thanks to God the Father for everything, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ.'
[Ephesians 5:19-20]

......

Ch. 134, Part Two:

This week's memory verse:
'If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just and will forgive us our sins and purify us from all unrighteousness.'
[1 John 1:9]

No comments: