December 5, 2008

Ch. 266 - I Like Gardening...

Every time I come up with a new idea of what I could do with my life - which I always like to think may very well be what God wants me to do - I am hit with conviction after conviction to do something different. And it always goes back to the same thing.

Planting.
No, not planting flowers or vegetables in a garden.
Church-planting.

I've never really given a lot of thought to doing so until the past couple of months. It's a big part of missions. I mean, I do go back and forth between youth ministry and cross-cultural ministry pretty often... because I would want to start a youth organization out in Salt Lake. Which technically would be a type of mission, I suppose, and not just youth ministry in a church or whatever. But I know that if I were to definitely "do missions" I don't want to do something stereotypical like help out in AIDS orphanages or something. Honestly. I would want to do something like church-planting, I believe. A former student came to my Christian Discipleship class during Missions Emphasis Week and spoke to us about AVANT, a church-planting organization. What he talked about sparked my interest to a great extent. Man... thinking about it gives me the chills. I felt a pretty big tug on the heart while he was talking to us.

Anyway, maybe God's trying to tell me something, here. I really have to think about it. I've got time. I'll just have to wait and see how everything starts panning out.


' "My food," said Jesus, "is to do the will of him who sent me and to finish his work. Do you not say, 'Four months more and then the harvest'? I tell you, open your eyes and look at the fields! They are ripe for harvest." '
[John 4:34-35]

No comments: