December 9, 2008

Ch. 270 - The 'Aha!'

"There's nothing that you could ever do to make me love you less."

This is a quote from a Rob Bell NOOMA video [Lump]. Now, I'm not going to lie: I am not a fan of Rob Bell. However, this single line had quite the impact on me. It is the only line I remember from all the NOOMA videos we watched in our Christian Discipleship class.

"There's nothing that you could ever do to make me love you less."

Rob Bell is telling a story of how his son had taken a little, white ball. Soon his actions and somewhat peculiar behavior catches up to him. His mom asks a simple question and he runs upstairs, hiding under the covers of his parent's bed for two hours. Bell comes home from work and finds him there.
But he doesn't yell at his son.
He doesn't punish him.
He doesn't condemn him.
He simply pulls back the covers and then says, "There's nothing that you could ever do to make me love you less."

This is completely relatable to how God loves us, even with our sin and guilt and shame.

Today my devotional spoke of the same thing. It focused on God's love for us. Midway through I read, 'There is nothing you can do that will make God stop loving you.' I just stopped and read that sentence over and over and over. Aha! I mean, here is something that probably seems so simple to understand, but it had never truly clicked with me until then.

Goodness.

God will never love us less.
God will never stop loving us.

Astounding.


'I have been crucified with Christ and I no longer live, but Christ lives in me. The life I live in the body, I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave himself for me.'
[Galatians 2:20]

No comments: