March 11, 2008

Ch. 55 - It's the Simple Things

I received a box from home in the mail the other day. I wasn't expecting one because I had just received a box about a week prior to this one. This box contained two things: a pink t-shirt and my memory box. I called my mom to thank her for the box and asked her about the shirt; apparently it was one of my dad's white undershirts, and had accidentally been thrown in with our burgundy dining room tablecloth. It turned pink and neither my dad nor my brother would wear it, so mom sent it along to me! I love it. It smells like home.

I remember actually asking my mom if she would send my memory box, but didn't know if or when I would get it. My memory box contains things I randomly throw in there now and then. It's a tweed-covered box with seashell stickers and a cloth ribbon tie in the front. My friend Fabiola gave it to me when I was in eighth grade. I've got all kinds of things in there: cut-outs from magazines; letters and notes; lanyards, keychains and necklaces; a small hand-held game from McDonald's; a few pictures; a Neopets keychain [also from McDonald's, I believe]; two CDs from my Humanities class junior year; a few bracelets... and there's more.

Anyway, I look through my box a couple times each year and continue to add things to it, but each time I sift through its treasures I am completely surprised at what I find. I found the CDs at the bottom of the box and was so happy when I found them - I was actually just thinking about them the other day and had wished that I had them with me. I had completely forgotten that they were in my box! I was also happy to find the bracelets; I've got a WWJD? (What Would Jesus Do?) bracelet in there, a GOLF (God Offers Love and Forgiveness) bracelet, and a bracelet that says 'I've Got Jesus In My Heart' - which I found at 3:00 AM in my school while cleaning up after MoShow (a show choir competition that my high school hosts).

The WWJD? bracelet has paint splatters from a mission trip on it.

It is, quite possibly, my favorite thing in the world at this point in time.

Today's been a good day.


'My mouth is filled with your praise, declaring your splendor all day long.'
[Psalm 71:8]

No comments: