March 31, 2008

Ch. 76 - Lookin' Good!

I have not showered since Saturday.

Saturday evening, granted, but still.

Saturday.

I wasn't even planning on showering today, but I am very hungry and need food. This means I need to either a) go to the grocery store, or b) go over to the HC. Either way, getting food means 'going' somewhere. I have some food in my room I could eat. But I really want a sandwich from the sandwich-lady and some delectable Caesar salad, which I have only just discovered a couple weeks ago and can't get enough of.

Which means I need to shower.

But I wasn't planning on showering today.

It's good for your hair to let the natural oils flow from your scalp for a few days, at least once a month.

But guess what?

It's not acceptable in our society to have greasy hair and smell nothing like roses or peaches and cream. People cringe. They take a couple steps away, oh-so-discreetly. They make gestures that I'm sure they don't consider rude, like pinching their noses and turning their heads a complete 180 degrees away from the offensive factors (I've seen people do this, mostly on TRAX, not going to lie).

It's sad.

Now, chances are people wouldn't treat me like that. I have clean clothes. I can at least wash my face. I really don't smell, honestly. And no, I'm not trying to convince myself that I don't.

So here I am, torn. I don't want to shower every day now, because it wastes water. And seriously people, natural oil. Hello. You know, some people don't have the chance to but maybe once a week - I know for many, even less. But I want to shower almost more than once a day, because I am so fortunate that I can if I want to. And it's college. I don't have to pay the water bill. I don't want to take it for granted. But then I feel bad, because it's true. Many people out there can't. Or don't even have indoor plumbing available to them on the street. Ever think about the African bush? No indoor plumbing, I'm pretty sure. Yet the Maasai do just fine without it.

Nope.
Not showering.
There's snow on the ground.
I can get away with wearing a hat.
And some deodorant.
That's always a good idea.
And "you're never fully dressed without a smile."
I can't believe I just quoted Annie.
Forgive me.

Honestly, though. God loves all of His children - just as they are. It doesn't matter if they shower four times a day or four times a year. He does not have more love for one over another.


'Your beauty should not come from outward adornment, such as braided hair and the wearing of gold jewelry and fine clothes. Instead, it should be that of your inner self, the unfading beauty of a gentle and quiet spirit, which is of great worth in God's sight.'
[1 Peter 3:3-4]

......

Ch. Seventy-Six, Part Two:

My title is part of a comedy routine by Sinbad from 1989. It's a big joke within our family. Love it. Love, love, love it.

"Gurrrl! Yo' hair be lookin' good! Whattcho been doin'?"
"Oh, I just been washin' it, conditionin' it."

No comments: