March 14, 2008

Ch. 59 - Taking the Time

There are seven religions of the world that are the most accounted for:

1. Christianity - 33.32% of the world's population
2. Islam - 21.01%
3. Hinduism - 13.26%
4. Buddhism - 5.84%
5. Sikhism - .35%
6. Judaism - .23%
7. Baha'i Faith - .12%

"Other religions" make up 11.78%.
"Non-religious people" make up 11.77%.
"Atheists" make up for 2.32%.

I like to believe that I know more about Christianity than the average Joe.
I know a lot about Islam. A lot.
I don't know much about Hinduism.
I don't know much about Buddhism.
I don't know anything about Sikhism.
I know a bit about Judaism.
I don't know much about the Baha'i Faith.

I think it's important to be knowledgeable of other religions and belief systems to a reasonable extent. You don't have to be an expert on anything, really. Just take the time to brush up on basic facts and beliefs - especially if you're interested in apologetics... which, I must add, is the newest love of my life.


'But in your hearts set apart Christ as Lord. Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have. But do this with gentleness and respect.'
[1 Peter 3:15]

No comments: