March 16, 2008

Ch. 61 - Getting Across

Today I went to MOPC with Spencer [who played at the 11:00 service] so I could go to a Palm Sunday service. We had to go early because he had to rehearse with the rest of the group, so I was there a good hour and a half before service. I had planned on simply spending the time in the prayer room, but then Spencer reminded me that Matt would be there. I sent a couple texts Matt's way and before I knew it I was following him to the youth room; he teaches Sunday school to the senior-hi.

At one point last week we had gotten together to chat and he brought up that he had been asked by Jamie to go over things that aren't exactly talked about often in youth groups. Last week it had been death, the week before, homosexuality. This week the topic was disability and value.

Having worked with both kids and adults who have mental and physical disabilities over the past few years (including the Toronto mission trip), I thought it would be really interesting to hear what Matt would say and how the youth would respond. Well, that 'thought' sort of backfired, if you will, because as it turns out, these kids do not speak up during Sunday school. They were chatty Cathies beforehand, of course. There were a few who would bring something up now and then, but it looked as if doing so was painful, actually. It was sad. I understood that in regards to speaking about people with disabilities, some of these kids may not have had much interaction with disabled people, but when one in five Americans have a disability of some sort, that's hard to believe. Going on to value and how we, as a society, judge others based on a number of things - but especially on what they do or do not have to contribute - you would think that this would be easy to talk about in a group of high schoolers.

Nope.

Matt asked who had been touched by the idea of valuing people more than others because of money, talent, skills, looks, etc. Not one person in that room did not raise their hand. Everybody has either felt valued based on something they have or by comparison to others, or have judged and valued others based on X factor.

So why wouldn't these kids speak up?

I know it wasn't because I was there; Matt told me it's like this every week. And every week he gives this little speech on how he gets what they're talking about. He knows it inside and out. Yet when he tries to help them know it and understand it, they don't respond. Maybe they are getting something out of it, but choose not to show it. But what if what he is saying simply goes in one ear and out the other? That's how it seems, obviously.

It's not like this with every group of high schoolers. I think it was Landon who said that his group - the kids who have graduated within the past two years - would never shut up.

That's how I wish it were.

I wish that if you were in that class, you would practically not be able to get a word in. You would if you wanted to, sure - but you would have to wait your turn to do so.

After church I found myself thinking, 'This is probably an unfair analysis, but it seems like something's a bit off. If Matt has to give that 'speech' every week, and the kids continue to simply sit as stones of silence... this isn't good.'

But who am I to judge?

At least he's trying. I can't say the same of me - as much as I would like to be able to, I can't at this point in time. Oh, how I miss teaching Sunday school and working with youth... I hope I can fill that void in my life really soon.

And at least they're there. I started teaching Sunday school because I refused to go to senior-hi Sunday school. Yet looking back, whenever I was there I got something out of it. I learned. I grew.

But you know, God can do anything. Ask and you will receive. Expect great things.


'If you remain in me and my words remain in you, ask whatever you wish, and it will be given you.'
[John 15:7]

No comments: