September 25, 2008

Ch. 199 - Lead Me, O God

This week's memory verse:

'Search me, O God, and know my heart;
Try me and know my anxious thoughts;
And see if there be any hurtful way in me,
And lead me in the everlasting way.'
[Psalm 139:23-24, NASB]

23. August 2010 Edit:

These are pretty well-known verses, I believe. I wonder just how often each day they are turned into prayers lifted up to my Lord God. I know I have done so in the past, and will do so in the future. Yet I believe that it is a difficult prayer to pray. I like to think that I retain a mystery factor. "Only I know this or that..." Not true. God does know my heart. Oh goodness... He does know my anxious thoughts. Uh-oh... Oh, and if - okay, when - He sees there is a hurtful way in me, I'm never really so sure that I want to know about it! Because that means I have to make a change and we all know how difficult that can be... But the revelations He gives us because of His divine insight are to help us, not make us nervous or irritated. They are to help us so that He can, indeed, lead us in the everlasting way. Because we cannot - no matter what we think - do it on our own. We need that discipline, love, and guidance that He provides us.

No comments: