September 27, 2008

Ch. 201 - A New Walk

Over the last two days, I've been told by four people that I walk fast. And just because four people said something doesn't mean each person only said it once...

I do walk fast.
I often find myself speaking as if it's the last time I'll ever be able to talk.
Thoughts fly through my mind, seemingly at millions of miles per second.

Why?

I am a positive and definite advocate of punctuality.
I don't want to be a bother and make others wait on me.

I get excited when I feel as if what I want to say is of worth.
I don't want to sound like I have no clue what I'm saying as I'm saying it.

I sometimes feel as if I can't control my thought processes.
I don't want to think about one thing for too long a time.

These may or may not be the true reasons as to why I walk, speak and think quickly. I honestly couldn't tell you. I think the first statements that correlate with each thing I do make the most sense to me and are the truest of all the statements.

However, I think the absolute reason is this:

I don't want to waste time.

I really do feel as if I always need to be going, going, going. I can't waste time doing this or doing that when I could and should be doing this or doing that. Yet I'll go on a long, but quick-paced walk in the evening to get away and just spend time with God. I enjoy doing so, but sometimes I feel as if I'm not doing things the way I should be. Right now it's more like quantity over quality. I don't like this! It's simply what happens. Time to change things up. I actually feel pretty worn out, you know? And I don't feel as if my spiritual life is as great as it could be.

Most people have heard the saying, "Take time to stop and smell the roses." I'm realizing that I really do not do this. I think I have a pretty deep appreciation for a lot of things and people... but I'm not applying that appreciation, showing that appreciation, if that makes sense.

A bit ago I read a chapter in one of my Discipleship books. I had already been thinking about the fact that I really do rush around a lot, both physically and spiritually. Then, as I was walking and chatting with one of my friends (and yes, he was one of the people who said I walk fast) today, he mentioned this chapter in the book. Reading that chapter was actually next on my to-do list for homework anyway, but he kind of set things up for me and unknowingly helped me prepare my mind for it, which was nice.

... The chapter is titled 'An Unhurried Life'. Hm. How appropriate!

What can I say? It's a God thing.

The chapter really helped me see how fast people take life and how doing so simply isn't good for you. One of my favorite parts of the chapter was in the very beginning. The author is talking about how he had called a friend for some spiritual direction. He asked him, "What do I need to do to be spiritually healthy?" The friend replied, "You must ruthlessly eliminate hurry from your life." As soon as I read that, it was like a light bulb went off in my head. It was basically an 'Aha!' moment. I was really grateful that the author included his situation and that story in this chapter.

The life we have on Earth is short.
The life we have on Earth is dirt compared to the life we will have in Heaven.

But that doesn't mean that there aren't things to see and enjoy here.
That doesn't mean that God doesn't want us to slow down and cherish what we have been given.

I'm ready to challenge myself to slow down.
I'm excited to see what will happen in the long (and maybe even short) run of things by slowing down.


'The heavens praise your wonders, O Lord, your faithfulness too, in the assembly of the holy ones. For who in the skies above can compare with the Lord? Who is like the Lord among the heavenly beings?'
[Psalm 89:5-6]

No comments: