October 12, 2008

Ch. 216 - 'Why Am I Crying?'

'You who were as numerous as the stars in the sky will be left but few in number, because you did not obey the Lord your God.'
[Deuteronomy 28:62]

3. September 2010 Edit:

'Why am I crying?' I clearly remember thinking this. I had been reading through Deuteronomy for my Pentateuch class and when I came to this verse, I began to cry. For whatever reason, it simply struck me... and I was saddened to read that God allowed such a thing to happen to the Israelites. But... it's in the past, so why should it matter to me? Should I really care? I mean, it doesn't really affect me, right? It's an entirely irrelevant verse and issue! I disagree. I think that this verse is important. It serves to remind us that our Lord God is entirely in control and He holds our lives in His hands. We do need to be obedient to God, continually. His chosen people, Israel, were "left but few in number", because of their disobedience... I think that it's safe to say that bad things can possibly happen to those who do not obey our Lord God. Not that He has it out for the disobedient - but He will certainly not hesitate, I believe, to let it be known that redirection is in order.

No comments: