February 18, 2008

Ch. 33 - Silence Revisited

The second spiritual discipline Phil spoke about at The Mount today was silence. Now, in Ch. Nine I wrote about how I really enjoy the silence... God is in the silence... it's my 'favorite sound' and truly beautiful... but yesterday I learned how silence can be used in our spiritual journey and bring us closer to God, which makes silence all the more glorious.

People talk. They simply talk, and talk and talk. There are those who talk to simply hear themselves. There are those who talk because they are disinterested in what others have to say. There are those who talk because they are nervous and can't help it. There are those who talk because they are lonely. And then there are those who talk to take control - of people, conversation and what have you.

It seems as if those who take the time to listen and be quiet, be still, are a rare breed nowadays. I like to think I'm one of them. Sure, I enjoy conversing with people and will be the first to admit that there are times when I will dominate the conversation if given a chance - more so recently because sometimes I feel I have always taken the time to listen... and those whom I listen to haven't always reciprocated and lent me an ear or two. But honestly, I love to listen to people.

One of my favorite quotes is about listening. It's quite long, but very lovely.
"Listening is a magnetic and strange thing, a creative force. When we are listened to, it creates us, makes us unfold and expand. Ideas actually begin to grow within us and come to life. When we listen to people there is an alternating current, and this recharges us so that we never get tired of each other… and it is this little creative fountain inside us that begins to spring and cast up new thoughts and unexpected laughter and wisdom. Well, it is when people really listen to us, with quiet fascinated attention, that the little fountain begins to work again, to accelerate in the most surprising way."
- Brenda Ueland

That is why I love talking to God more than anyone else. I know that He doesn't merely hear me, but that He listens to what I have to say.

And He gives back.

Taking the time to be still, be silent, in God's presence is incredibly beneficial. God will speak to you. He will answer prayers. He will guide you. He will inspire you. He will comfort you. He will prepare you for tribulations, joys, praise, service, prayer, worship - if you let Him.

I'll let you in on a little secret: I had decided to take on solitude and loneliness for Lent, but changed it to taking on silence instead. I'm always surrounded by... not... silence. I didn't want to say noise, because it's more than noise. Distractions, people... they all fit under the umbrella of noise, I suppose. Before and after a couple times of prayer throughout the day I simply sit, lie, stand, whatever, in silence. It's a wonderful time. I always feel so at peace and rejuvenated after.

Phil shared this verse with us:

'For God alone my soul waits in silence, for my hope is from him. He alone is my rock and my salvation, my fortress; I shall not be shaken. On God rests my deliverance and my honor; my mighty rock, my refuge is in God. Trust in him at all times, O people, pour out your heart before him; God is a refuge for us.]
[Psalm 62:5-8, NRSV]


'Do not be quick with your mouth, do not be hasty in your heart to utter something before God. God is in heaven and you are on earth, so let your words be few.'
[Ecclesiastes 5:2]

No comments: