February 11, 2008

Ch. 27 - Always Learning

Pastor Phil started a new sermon series this weekend; it's on spiritual disciplines. Yesterday's discipline happened to be prayer.

I pray a lot.

But do I know a lot about prayer?

I'd like to think so, but it's not true. You may ask, "But what's there to know about prayer?" Perhaps you think prayer is simply closing your eyes, bowing your head, starting with 'Dear God,' saying a bunch of stuff that you may or may not mean - or, better yet, what you think God wants to hear - and ending with an 'Amen.' Nothin' to it.

I suppose to some people that is what prayer is all about. My heart breaks for them, because they are truly missing out on a beautiful experience.

Phil used a C.S. Lewis quote that I really liked, it says this:

"The moment you wake up each morning all your wishes and hopes for the day rush at you like wild animals. And the first job each morning consists in shoving it all back; in listening to that other voice, taking that other point of view, letting that larger, stronger, quieter life come flowing in."

Take a step back at some point in your day, give time to God, and pray. Talk to Him. Let Him know what's going on in your life. Share with Him your joys, your sorrows, your happiness, your anger - everything. He wants to be a part of your life so bad. Make sure, however, that you also take the time to listen to Him. You'll know when He speaks to You, trust me.

'... louder than your conscience, but softer than your thoughts.' I heard this from a friend once - he had read it in a book, I think. It describes hearing God perfectly. Truly beautiful.

Phil brought up an interesting point yesterday. He said that prayer is to be learned. I agree. He gave the example of Jesus saying to His disciples, 'Pray like this:' and how He shared with them the Lord's Prayer. We grow and mature in our prayers as time passes, I think. We become comfortable in lifting our prayers to God, speaking to Him. We realize that prayer is not constricted. Don't be afraid to branch out a bit.

I'm excited to continue learning about prayer over the course of my life. After all, God's a magnificent teacher.


'...pray continually...'
[1 Thessalonians 5:17]

No comments: