August 17, 2008

Ch. 165 - A New Light

Last night there was a bonfire for the new students. Now, when I think ‘bonfire’ I think of large, roaring flames dancing toward the sky. So imagine my disappointment when I reach said bonfire with one of my roommates, Leez, and see a somewhat pathetic, little pit of fire. Okay, so it honestly wasn’t that pathetic. I’m just making a big deal out of nothing. But as people stood around this fire, there was a sense of community that made the fire seem bigger, brighter and warmer than any other bonfire I've experienced.

Someone had brought a guitar and we started to sing some worship songs. Everybody sang. Nobody was too cool to sing. Nobody was too shy to sing. Nobody was too embarrassed to sing. Every single student was lifting their voices in praise to God. Beautiful. His presence was felt by, I'm sure, many of the students. I was so glad that I had made my way over to the fire and was there for that time of praise. It was a perfect way to end the evening, as well as a perfect way to start the week.


' "For where two or three come together in my name, there am I with them." '
[Matthew 18:20]

No comments: