August 9, 2008

Ch. 157 - A Life Goal

'Defend the cause of the weak and fatherless; maintain the rights of the poor and oppressed. Rescue the weak and needy; deliver them from the hand of the wicked.'
[Psalm 82:3-4]

15. July 2010 Edit:

Coming back to this post is quite interesting, actually. Just a couple days ago I began reading through Isaiah. In the first chapter, verse seventeen says, '... learn to do right! Seek justice, encourage the oppressed. Defend the cause of the fatherless, plead the case of the widow.' Both of these remind me of James 1:27, which says this: 'Religion that God our Father accepts as pure and faultless is this: to look after orphans and widows in their distress and to keep oneself from being polluted by the world.' ... Heavy. There is such weight to these words, and that weight, I feel, is pressing upon my heart. How many people in this world are physically fatherless, and do not know that they have a spiritual Father greater than any man could ever be? How many people in this world are oppressed and are hopeless, and do not know that they can have absolute freedom in the Lord? It saddens me to think about these things... yet it gives me great encouragement knowing that many of my brothers and sisters are going out into the world in order to help these people in the name of Jesus Christ.

No comments: