August 20, 2008

Ch. 168 - Vulnerability

God is personal to us.

So it's really difficult to be vulnerable with other people when it comes to God. But pushing ourselves to be just that is what makes us grow.

I was taking an assessment questionnaire today during our World Views session. One of the questions asked something along the lines of how many hours I spend each week talking to others about God and my faith. As much as I wanted to shade the rectangle in the 5-10 hours per week, I wasn't going to lie. So I went with the truth and shaded in the rectangle in the 0-2 hours per week. I actually felt ashamed of myself as I slowly moved my pencil back and forth in thin lines to fill in the small box. It's the truth, though. I haven't had a good, sit-down, heart-to-heart kind of talk with anyone and just talked about God in a long, long time. I suppose I'm in a pretty good place to change that!

But even if 5-10 hours (or more!) were the truth, that in itself would be a challenge for me, because it truly is difficult for me to talk about my faith openly with fellow believers. Eight months into the year and I am still no closer to actually working on my new year's resolution. I said the same thing at two and a half months into the year (see Ch. 62) and thought about it a few times here and there since then... so I'm obviously pretty conscious that I'm not doing anything about it.

I have to get over the fact that being vulnerable with people is not going to kill me. God is always with me. He is my Light and my Guide. I can't retreat into the dark just because it's not always easy to talk about the Light.


'I can do everything through Him who gives me strength.'
[Philippians 4:13]

Putting the memory verses to use!

No comments: