August 27, 2008

Ch. 175 - Prayerful Consideration

Something hit me today. I came to the realization that I've been a lot better about prayer since coming to Central. Before I do anything, I pray. Eating. Sleeping. Studying. Reading. Hanging out. Before class (whether it's led by teachers or not). After class.

Why is that?

Why is it that now that I happen to be at Bible college I'm all about prayer again?

I don't think I make it apparent that I'm praying a lot. I mean, Jesus told us to 'not be like the hypocrites and pray standing in the synagogues on the street corners to be seen by men.' [Matthew 6:5] There's no reward in doing so.

Why can't I be about prayer all the time?
When I'm not at school - whether I'm at Bible college is irrelevant.
When I'm not at church or chapel.
When things are going really well.
When things are not going really well.
When there are specific people I'm praying for.
When there are not specific people I'm praying for.

I suppose I've come to the conclusion that whenever I'm really focusing on God in my life and am surrounded by fellow believers who are doing the same and encouraging one another, I pray more often.

That shouldn't be the case. If anything, I should be praying more when I'm not around fellow believers and when I know I'm not focusing on God for anything, whether it's discussion with friends, schoolwork, preparation for teaching Sunday school, etc.


'Therefore confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you may be healed. The prayer of a righteous man is powerful and effective.'
[James 5:16]

No comments: