August 23, 2008

Ch. 171 - Learning to Listen

I went to Columbia tonight with a group of people. It was really nice to just hang out and listen to people. That's how I like getting to know people. I don't ask a lot of questions and I don't talk about myself seriously unless I'm asked something or if I feel comfortable with people. Random things, like my favorite color or where I'm from, sure. But those 'who are you' and 'what are you about' questions, not so much. That really takes some time on my part.

I know God made some people absolutely upfront about those kinds of things, and others a little more reserved. But honestly, sometimes you get to know people better by observation and listening than talking to them. I don't mean listening in on serious, more private, one-on-one conversations or anything. That can be rude to quite a large extent. But in a group setting, if people are talking back and forth and such, just listening to what's being said totally works. Even if the subject isn't of vulnerable matter or anything, you really can learn about people through what they say, how they react to what's being said, etc.

I like to listen. It's not always easy to do so. It's almost like God is actually teaching me how to listen. And I love that. I think it's something that gets away from a lot of people these days; there's a lot of 'ME, ME, ME!' going on, and not enough 'YOU, YOU, YOU!' I'd like to try and help this situation if possible.


'My dear brothers, take note of this: Everyone should be quick to listen, slow to speak and slow to become angry...'
[James 1:19]

No comments: