August 19, 2008

Ch. 167 - Falling in Love

Today I went on a walk. I went behind the soccer field on a dusty, gravel path. It led to a road, beyond which there was a neighborhood. I crossed the street and walked on a sidewalk away from the neighborhood, east. Before I had gone very far I noticed a small trail leading into a grove of trees between the backyards of the neighborhood and an open field. I decided to check it out, seeing how I love woodsy trails.

I started along and soon saw a large tree off to the side of the path. Some of its branches have grown out and downward from the trunk, creating an archway over the path. It was like a grand, welcoming entryway and I took my precious time crossing under.

Before long I came to a wooden bridge. There's no stream or creek running below it, and there are certainly no trolls living underneath. But it's there. And I've decided that I love it for simply being there.

I kept walking. Up ahead the trail splits. To the left, the trail goes farther into the grove. To the right, there is a wooden platform and a few rows of benches in front of the platform. Beyond the benches there is an open field of grass. I decided to turn to my right. I walked a few steps, jumped onto the platform and looked out across the field.

My breath caught in my throat and I found myself saying, "Thank you, God."

Some people may not find the field particularly beautiful. There are no wildflowers growing. There aren't even any clover patches like there are in the grassy areas of Central. Ever since I was a little girl I have loved clover patches. Who cares if clover is technically a weed? But it was love at first sight. There's something about the field that made me so grateful for God's creation. Just this past year I finally realized that there is truly beauty in all things, all situations and all people. It may simply take some time to see that beauty.

For some reason, I was able to see the beauty in this field instantly.
And I praise God for this.


'May the glory of the Lord endure forever; may the Lord rejoice in his works - he who looks at the earth, and it trembles, who touches the mountains, and they smoke. I will sing to the Lord all my life; I will sing praise to my God as long as I live. May my meditation be pleasing to him, as I rejoice in the Lord.'
[Psalm 104:31-34]

No comments: